Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

The Other Betty

This weekend was food heaven for Wilma and the gang. Farmer's markets, flea markets, and the culinary event of the year - Philadelphia's famous Italian Market Festival. More to come once I get my pictures up.

The Italian Market should be renamed the Italian Meat Market because there's no shortage of carnivorous delights to be had. From stores specializing in exotic game meat like ostrich and alligator to homemade meatballs, bbq pork sandwiches, and tacos of every variety. If I'm gonna eat meat, better to splurge when I know it's authentic, made from scratch and guaranteed to be delicious. South Philly knows how to cook more than just cheesesteaks.

So you can imagine my surprise to see a vegetarian/vegan store in the heart of the meatville. I'm not sure how they stay in business, but maybe there are more struggling meat addicts out there than I know who like their veggie burgers topped with bacon. I just had to go in and see what they were selling.

After reading about Betty's Tasty Buttons and seeing them at the farmer's market, I decided to get some of Betty's locally made organic fudge for the blog. Maybe it was out of guilt for the copious amounts of meat I had this weekend. Well I'm not much for sweets, but the one I just tried was the perfect blend of spiciness and bitter dark chocolate. Betty's buttons are indeed tasty and I support her belief in locally sourced ingredients and sustainable business practices. Apparently Betty just moved to 23rd and Bainbridge so I'll have to pay her a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment