Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

Guest Blogger Betty Presents:

While the cat's away, this mice will play...
While Wilma is on her trip, I thought I might take this time to do something she may or may not agree with....review a steakhouse (lol).

Barney and I made the trek out to KoP to enjoy a romantic steak dinner. Morton's had come highly recommended from a colleague and I always wanted to try it out. We made reservations (which I suggest) and made sure our attire was dressy causual.

For those of you who are not familar with Morton's I want to let you know that it is NOT vegan or vegetarian friendly. Even though the name should suggest that you already know that, I want to make clear that my entry does not review vegetarian options (Although I will note that if you are a flexitarian, the seafood options are DELICIOUS).

The ombiance did not render it appropiate to take pictures (low lights and upscale dining), hence there are none of our dishes but I will do my best to describe the experience.

When you first walk in, you are seated by a Matre Dee and no menus. This is because your server will perform a tableside demonstration including your choices of appietizers, entrees, and side dishes. After the thorough yet concise explaination, you are great with a menu that come on a long sheet of paper. Be prepared to spend at least $75-100 per person if you want a full 3 course meal (this is excluding your drink choices). But it is worth the money.

We ordered a Petit Syrah from Napa Valley that was priced at $60. As you can imagine there wine list is a book of wines with prices ranging from $50 up to $500. Make sure to factor this into your budget if you are a wine drinker. If not, they have their own signature drinks and cocktails from which you can choose. Barney had a crabcake appietizer while I enjoyed the lobster bisque. I highly recommend both. The crabcake has only a slight amount of breading and a ton of jumbo lump crabmeat. It is served with a lemon wedge and a tangy tartar sauce. My lobster bisque tasted like I was drink a lobster and the hunk of lobster tail garnished the dish.

From the 7-8 cuts of steak we had to choose from our presentation, I decided to go with the double-cut filet mignon and Barney got the NY strip. While disappointed there were no potatoes au gratin, we opted to share a massive baked potato and sauteed green beans. The food came out and smelled heavenly. However, there was a problem. I cut into my filet and could see that it was not cooked how I requested. Barney cut into his and it looked like the cow was still moving. It seems someone switch our cooking preferences. We flagged down our server and showed her the problem as we ate our sides. We were hungry! She assured us that the kitchen would cook us new steaks to our preferences. She also noted she would bring out hot, new side dishes and all would be done in a timely fashion.

She was absolutely right. Our food was out in a matter of minutes. I hardly got to finish a sip of wine. The manager had us cut into our steaks and mine was perfect. Barney's was not. And at this point we were not happy. Barney was willing to eat what was brought out but our server, the manager, and I were not going to let that happen. Although Barney's steak was delivered in the upscaled manner Morton's is known for, the staff took care of it quickly and graticiously. Barney did not let this one fluke affect his opnion. He wants to go again so that he can have the real Morton's experience.
Here are my ratings:

Atmostsphere: excellent
Service: fabulous
Food: normally exqusite (this time average, if that)
Will visit again: ABSOLUTELY

Visit their website for more information http://www.mortons.com/



Best,

Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment