Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Why I'm (an aspiring) Vegetarian

I think I do a pretty good job of not preaching some new age, "meat is murder" philosophy to my meat eating friends. I would like to take this opportunity to fully explain why I try to abstain from meat. It's also an invitation to anyone who feels strongly about the issue to chime in as well. I would love to hear why other people are vegetarian, but also hear from meat eaters about why they just can't give up that juicy double bacon cheeseburger.

Here are some of my opinions:

1. I do believe as most meat eaters point out that eating meat is natural. Fine. But, how can you say that the way animals are raised, slaughtered, and fed hormones and chemicals to produce meat is natural? I also agree with Sam Slagheap who said that just because something is natural does not make it right.

2. There is a lot research on the harmful environmental effects of meat factory farms. So much, that it's hard to find the genuine, unbiased research in the sea of extremist, political, and one sided literature that's out there. Bottom line: It's wasteful and inefficient.

3. For me, vegetarianism is just one small part of being environmentally and socially responsible. It's not simply about avoiding meat. What you personally eat is a decision that has impacts across the globe. If you want to better the world, start by thinking about what you eat. Are you paying to have a mealy, pesticide ridden tomato shipped from Mexico in the dead of winter? In my mind, eating locally raised and hormone free beef would be a better choice than that tomato. It would probably taste a whole heck of a lot better too.

4. It's healthier. Not just on your waistline, also safer in terms of avoiding hormones and meat bourne illnesses.

5. It's cheaper. Just go out to any restaurant and see what the cheaper items are.

So I do stray more than I would like to. The way I see it, everytime I conciously eat a vegetarian meal, I'm making a difference. Reducing meat is better than doing nothing at all so why be discouraging? The world does not have to be so black and white.

Being veg isn't a quick fix and certainly not the only way to impact the world through food. No decision is right if it is unimformed or made blindly. Like I said, I would rather eat meat that is raised locally and sustainably than produce that isn't. Maybe that's just me.

One of my biggest role models is Jane Goodall, and her book "Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating" helped convince me to make the change. Some of her writing does have strong religious overtones, but I trust her on most issues.

So that pretty much sums it up. Take it or leave it, but don't worry. I won't judge you for eating that burger, but I may ask for a bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment