Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vegan Experiment Day 3

I couldn't wait for the novocaine to wear off yesterday. It lasted well into the afternoon and I was starving. I had planned to make some vegan pad thai for dinner. I don't cook too much asian food, and for some reason never feel like it would taste like the real thing. If you like the ubiquitious thai staple but wish it didn't always have egg and shrimp in it, make this at home. Surprisingly vegan and surprisingly satisfying if you're craving pad thai, it couldn't be easier. I have to admit I don't work with tofu too much. I'm of the opinion that you can be vegan/vegetarian and not eat tofu. I always hear from meat eaters that they could never go veg because they hate tofu.

Vegan Pad Thai

Extra Firm Tofu
Canola Oil
Rice Noodles
Hoisin Sauce
Bean Sprouts
Fresh lime
Frozen Peas
Peanuts
Cilantro

Working with tofu takes a little bit of practice. I like extra firm for dishes where you are sauteeing it. The key is to get it as dry as you can. I usually drain as much as I can in a colandar then squeeze gently and repeatedly with paper towels. Unused portions can be frozen.

While the rice noodles cook, cube the tofu and sautee in some canola oil. If needed, gently use a spatula to flip the tofu during cooking so it browns on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. When it starts to brown, add some frozen peas and bean sprouts.

When noodles are drained and still hot, put them back in the pot they were cooked in. Slowly add in the hoisin sauce. It's strong, so add a little bit at a time. You can always add more later. Then fold in the tofu mixture stirring carefully to avoid breaking up the tofu. The finishing touches are lime juice, plenty of fresh cilantro and peanuts sprinkled on top. I like to sprinkle peanuts on the individual plates so they stay crunchy.

(Once this experiment is over I'll make this again with egg and shrimp. Wait, did I say that out loud?)

Let me also state for the record that I did bring Betty some leftovers, but she's out sick today so guess I'll just have to eat it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment