Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Guest Blogger Betty Presents: Viva this Vegan!

This is the third time that I have curtailed my carnivorous customs in a quest to prove I am more than a meat eater (and I think it’s fun :0). When Wilma told me about her interest in veganism I immediately encouraged her by remarking, “You canNOT give up cheese and you know it!” But Wilma’s determination inspired me. She tailored a plan from a change in lifestyle to a 4-day detox challenge just before she hits Vegas. I told her if you are serious about doing it then I will do it with you.

After going vegetarian for Lent, I thought to myself, what are you doing? I figured that I needed a kick in the pants to get back on my “Get Right for the Summer” workout plan and decrease meals where MEAT is the star. Wilma and I brainstormed our menu for the four days and planned to start on Monday.

With the launch of the Worst Vegetarian Ever blog, we launched into our Vegan Experiment. For breakfast I had the intention of eating mangos but I ended up eating hummus and bread. YES, THERE IS VEGAN BREAD (thanks Pebbles from home). Lunch is the trickiest meal. I opted for a non-dairy smoothie and in this 92 degree heat it hit the spot.

Being a Vegan is possible with a little planning. If you are not sure you can go this extreme, I suggest you try this recipe before you write off this experiment. It actually is a raw food recipe but it is amendable to just being vegan. Here it is:

Betty’s Bangin’ Bruschetta
1 Beef Steak Tomato or 3 Roma Tomatoes
1-2 TBSP Good Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic, roasted preferred
Several Basil Leaves, thinly sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Wash tomatoes in warm water. Dice into bite sized pieces. Place in a medium bowl. Finely mince 1 large clove or 2-3 small cloves of roasted garlic. Place into bowl.

*To make roasted garlic, place one head of garlic in some aluminum foil and dizzle a small amount of olive oil. Place in a 325 degree preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Garlic should appear soft and a tad wrinkled.

Add olive oil, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix well so garlic incorporates into the mixture but be careful to not mush the tomatoes to a paste. Finally add basil and mix until incorporated. Enjoy on vegan breads, crackers, even avocado would be tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment