Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pumpkin: Not Just for Halloween

I've walked past Pumpkin around 17th and south many times. Friday, when I was looking for a byo within walking distance that I've never been too, it was perfect. Fred and I picked up some wine on the way.

It's definitely small, and I probably should have made a reservation. They were happy though to squeeze us in by the window. First impressions: not vegetarian or wallet friendly. It's also cash only, so Fred had to dash out to an ATM.

The menu changes, I think on a daily basis, which means everything is fresh and seasonal, just how I like it. It's a pretty short menu, and nothing was vegetarian. Given the title of the blog, you can guess that I wasn't deterred. I do eat seafood on occasion, so luckily there were plenty of choices.

I started off with white bean soup (Oops, it may or may not have had proscuitto in it) and Fred had some scallops. Let's just say I knew we were in for a fantastic albeit expensive meal.

My next course was Spanish mackeral with some sort of crispy potato stick? Well whatever it was called, I'd go back just for that. I tried to convince Fred to get the duck. When I go to nice restaurants, I try to order things I would never make at home. I would never buy a duck breast to cook at home. (But then again, am I really going to cook him lamb shoulder which is what he ended up getting?)

As you'll learn, I was born without a sweet tooth. Every once in a blue moon (or maybe after enough wine) I'll order dessert. How could I not order a house made biscuit with seasonal berries and whipped cream? I wanted something light, while Fred opted for the chocolate bread pudding with peanut butter ice cream.

Verdict: A special occasion splurge. You pay for the ambiance and service. We absolutely loved our waitress! I think they have a prix fixe deal on Sunday nights. I'm sure it's crowded but I would check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment