Pages

Monday, June 1, 2009

Home Grown Food is Hip

I was lucky enough to be invited to a good ol' fashioned back yard BBQ thrown by Fred's friends who live in Germantown (Philly, not MD). There was delicious food aplenty - potato salad, pasta salad, beans and some of the best BBQ chicken I've ever had. I did, for the record, also try some veggie hotdogs. Not bad when smothered with a liberal amount of baked beans. What I was most excited about, however, was the food that was yet to be cooked, growing right in their own backyard!

Oh how I wish I had a yard, but a porch or an alley would do. Some little patch of outdoors to call my own that would support even a potted plant. My studio apartment barely supports me and some mice and doesn't get enough light to grow so much as a stupid basil plant.

Well anyways, I was quite impressed with the nice spread they have growing like cabbage, tomatoes and fresh herbs. They also are part of a CSA and frequent Weaver's Way Co-op. Maybe I'll move to the suburbs.

3 comments:

  1. There are community garden plots in West Philadelpia and Northern Liberties! Don't go to the suburbs - grow in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget if I told you this or not on Saturday, but I rented some plots at the Skuylkill Center to grow the rest. I think there are a couple of plots left; my folks might get the last two (if not taken), but you should look into also. You can also grow with us; I take Kira out all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Worst Vegetarian Ever Readers:

    FOR THE RECORD, GERMANTOWN/MT. AIRY IS NOT IN THE SUBURBS! IT'S BEEN AN INCORPORATED PART OF PHILADELPHIA SINCE 1854! WE PAY CITY WAGE TAX AND PUT OUR PANTS ON ONE LEG AT A TIME JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIES!

    (whew...)

    I'm kidding. That's what hilarious people do.

    In all seriousness, this is a great blog. Think I gained 10 pounds before making it through the first few posts.

    ReplyDelete