Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Follow Up

Fred's friend who has the garden in Germantown sympathized when he read about my woes. He also rents some plots of land in Roxborough and suggested I look into it. If you ever meet this guy, gardening is not the first thing that would come to mind.

I've heard about the Schuylkill Center and that's where he rents his land from. If I ever have a way of getting out there and enough time and money I will definitely join their organic community garden.

There's actually a community garden right by my house in the Schuylkill River Park but I don't believe it's open to the public. So maybe I'm not good enough to join their stupid garden (I see them in there, all smug) but the history of it is pretty cool. It was started in 1982 and is now in the Smithsonian Institution's Archives of American Gardens.

Well for now I'll just have to reminisce about the days when my dad and I grew flowers, herbs, and veggies on our back deck. Fresh tomatoes and basil picked from our deck is maybe my favorite memory from home. The time my mom grew some habanero peppers and I ate one whole is probably my least favorite.

1 comment:

  1. Did Fred's friend say that?

    That's pretty interesting considering that Fred's friend's wife is the one working the plots!!!!! :)

    Oh, and Fred's friend needs to come and see his plots!!!!!!! :) Fred's friend needs to check out some of the Native 3 Sister Gardening we got going on over there and spiral labrinth corn plots.

    Sorry, Wilma, for using your blog for jokes, but I am serious about the Native and semi-spiritual plotting that we have going on over there. I would love to bring you!

    ReplyDelete