Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Single Serving: Sharing the Wealth

The best tip I can give you when cooking for one I borrowed from Mr. Rogers: share. Find friends, neighbors, co-workers, or family members who like homecooked food as much as you do. Trust me that no one will turn down food. Now I know it may not seem like a budget friendly tip but it it will pay off if you keep at it. Here are the benefits:

1. You can buy ingredients in more economical sizes.
2. You reduce waste.
3. People will return the favor. If not, well then find some new friends. I'm lucky enough to have Betty and Sam who love to eat and share as much as I do, but I've even received cucumbers and tomatoes from a co-worker's garden.
4. Everyone loves to talk about food! You can use it as a way to strengthen friendships or build better relationships at work or in your neighborhood.
5. Before you even go shopping, see if someone can split ingredients with you. If you are not confident in your cooking skills or are dealing with a picky eater this is very helpful. It is especially useful for highly perishable ingredients like herbs.

If you really want to score some bonus points, do what I did and join a CSA. Betty, Sam and I split a half share of produce for the season. We each paid $125 up front and now get bi-weekly deliveries of fresh, local, organic produce for almost 5 months. It works out to about $5 a week, and it has been one of the most fun and rewarding things I've done this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment