Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Fabulous Fennel

Fennel is one of those things that I'm sure I've eaten in life, but I couldn't tell you when. I've certainly never cooked it at home which is why I love my CSA. I don't think I would voluntarily see some fennel at the store and think "hmm, maybe I'll roast it up with lemon and parmesan cheese for dinner." When I ended up with some beautiful bulbs from my CSA that's exactly what I did. If you are like me and you tend to steer clear of its intense anise flavor, just trust me on this recipe. They are very fragrant, but the anise flavor is more mellow and cut by the lemon and cheese. This surprised me by turning into a simple, elegant, and summery side dish.

Ingredients

1 bulb fennel, with the fronds
1 lemon
generous handful freshly grated parmesan cheese
olive oil

Slice the tops off of the fennel and slice the bulb in half. Sprinkle generously with lemon juice and drizzle with a little olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper then top with parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the fronds over top and pop in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is bubbly and the fennel is fork tender. I think it took about a half hour. The result is crunchy, cheesy and lemony with a distinct but not overwhelming flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment