Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More Reasons I Love the Suburbs

I think I gain a couple of pounds every time I go home. From the neighborhood parties every holiday to having a well stocked kitchen (that doesn't double as my bedroom) at my disposal, going home means cooking and eating. A lot. I do plenty of that here in Philly, but let's just say I'm not eating any tofu and cabbage at home.

Yes, I did eat spam in case you were wondering, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not as much as scrapple if we're talking about questionable meat products but spam certainly satisfies my meat craving. What I love about my neighbors is that you might find them enjoying some grilled spam and a mimosa, but they also make a mean gumbo and authentic beignets for Mardi Gras. Not to mention the holiday cookie exchange. Why did all of this have to develop after I left for college?

Not that I'm complaining. If my dad's recipe for mussels and prawns is any indication I didn't exactly starve growing up. My absolute favorite meal is my dad's grilled salmon and eggplant. The ingredients are simple: just olive oil and lemon pepper but maybe Papa Slaghoople will share some of his grilling tips?

We rounded out the meal with something called fuzzy squash (procured at the local asian supermarket that has all sorts of weird stuff) and a delicious potato salad. Recipe to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment