Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ode to a Cucumber

You know what I think is just as cool
As an afternoon spent by the pool?
I’ll give you a hint, it’s long and green.
And at the farmer’s market it can be seen.


But only when the weather is nice and hot.
During the winter months, you’ll find it not.
So all winter long I wait and wait.
With nothing but potatoes to fill my plate.
I eagerly await the arrival of spring.
And of all the green things that it will bring.
Asparagus and strawberries are a hopeful sign.
Of a bountiful summer that soon will be mine.
At last the day is finally here!
When I first bite into a cold crunchy spear.
I sprinkle with salt, or just eat it plain.
Until a ripe summer tomato I can obtain.

Then panzanella always does the trick.
A dish I can prepare really quick.
And into tzatziki for a delicious dip.
Or maybe I'll make a summer sip?
It makes a great cocktail or so I’m told.
Gazpacho too, served nice and cold.
When August comes they’re everywhere.
From friends’ backyards to my CSA share.
At times it seems it’s more than I need.
Then I think about all the hungry mouths to feed.
But if I can’t use it, it’s not the end.
I’ve always wanted to try pickling our vegetable friend.
And a cold slice placed over the eyes
Is said to really revitalize.
So the next time you’re trying to beat the heat.
I know just what you need for a refreshing treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment