Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

It's All Greek to Me

Ah Greek Lady. How I miss living near you so I can savor your delicious gyros and gigantic salads whenever I want. Your veg gyro is a magic meatless combination of crispy golden fries, creamy tatziki, lettuce, tomato and onions all wrapped up in a thick but fluffy pita. My mouth waters at the mere thought of it. (Although in my thoughts I get the lamb gyro instead.)

I figured it couldn't be that hard to recreate. The only part that requires thought is the tzatziki and I've been making a ton with the plethora of cucumbers I've received. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

1 containter plain greek yogurt
1 cucumber, small to medium
Juice of 1 lemon
Couple cloves garlic

Dice the cucumber- seeds, skin and all. Also mince or crush the garlic. Mix everything into the yogurt with some salt and pepper. Let sit for a little in the fridge for a little before eating with pita chips or veggies.

For these gyros, all I did was buy some flatbread, frozen french fries -of course you can make your own- lettuce, onions and tomatoes. Mine was veg (I swear) but as you can see Fred added some chicken. Clearly not as good as the original. I want to know what kind of bread they use because supermarket pitas and flatbreads are dry and bland. Other than the bread, it wasn't half bad though.

No comments:

Post a Comment