Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

At Home With the Hatrocks

Sometimes it's nice to go out, but most of the time I would rather cook and entertain at home. Alas, my apartment can barely fit 2 people and the seating option is my bed. Intimate, maybe. But not exactly the ambiance for a dinner party.

So any time someone wants to cook for me I'm there! I'm so excited to find people who appreciate home cooking as much as I do. I'm even more excited to find people who really know how to cook. When the Hatrocks invited Fred and me over for paella I knew I was in for a treat. Paella is an ambitious undertaking involving specialty ingredients like saffron and even a special type of pan. Surprisingly, the Hatrocks used brown rice. I don't eat a lot of brown rice, but I have to say it was the perfect texture and really held up to all the other ingredients in a way that more delicate types of rice might not have. It also created the desirable crust on the bottom of the pan.

Like me, the Hatrocks kind of made it up as they went using a little of this and a little of that. Maybe they don't have a recipe, but I'm hoping they will share the ingredients and maybe some tips. It was a spectuclar summer meal, and I can't wait to return the favor. Just maybe not at my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment