Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

3 Ingredient Fix

I guess I understand the concept behind that show "5 Ingredient Fix" on the Food Network. I just think it's misguided. Every time I watch it I think, man a 6th ingredient might make it taste a lot better.

And most times I find that I cook with minimal ingredients anyways, mostly out of necessity. Last summer while taking part in the One Local Summer Challenge, I realized that eating locally also forces you to cook minimally. You are dependent on what is available, but you are also able to center meals around a few ingredients because they taste so darn good. Eating this way is good for your wallet too. Every time I go to the farmer's market I come in under budget, no coupons or sales necessary. Try that at your local supermarket, especially if you buy organic.

Even with the availability of local produce, some nights it just seems harder than others to come up with a dinner plan without resorting to the convenience of takeout or a local restaurant. It has to be fast, cheap, healthy and satisfying. Then try throwing vegetarian, local and organic into the mix. Every time I pull off a dinner that meets all of the above requirements I amaze even myself. I can't imagine how those of you with crazy stressful jobs let alone families deal with it. I won't pretend to offer advice on that one. (Although I do have to say that I would imagine this meal is kid friendly.)

Ingredients

Fingerling or yukon gold potatoes (These are always available at my market but use what you have)
Fresh broccoli
Cheese (Any kind that melts)
Olive oil

Clean and slice the potatoes into thin rounds. Layer into the bottom of a shallow baking dish.

Break off a few broccoli florets. Cut them into fairly small chunks and layer on top of the potatoes.


Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season liberally wth salt and pepper. Add a few splashes of water which will ensure more even cooking. You can add a few red pepper flakes here if you like heat. Or consider using a pepperjack cheese.

Pop in a 350 degree oven uncovered, and check after about 30 minutes. Perfect time to see what's on tv and grab a cold beer.

You might have to give it a little stir if the pieces on top get too browned, but keep in mind that a little bit of brown on the broccoli is a good thing. If you've never had it roasted before it's glorious. Beats the heck out of mushy steamed broccoli any day. (As a side note, I've recently discovered that broccoli cooked on a grill plan is delicious as well.)

Grate, or thinly slice if you're as lazy as I am, your cheese. When your potatoes are tender, which like I said should take a half hour or so, remove and layer some cheese on top. Pop back in. If you're as impatient as I am, crank your oven, or toaster oven in my case, up a few degrees. You might be seeing a pattern in my cooking style here.

When the cheese is sufficiently melted, grab a fork.

I won't tell anyone if you don't even bother with a plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment