Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tastebuds

Having lived in various locations around Fitler Square for several years, I have wandered past Tastebuds Market many times. I've been curious and maybe poked my head in once or twice, but like nearby Bacchus I just assume it's a place for those who can afford expensive pre-cooked meals and who don't have the time or desire to cook for themselves. While I do splurge on food, it's usually on expensive ingredients I cook at home or on a nice restaurant meal. I guess the concept of paying $8.99 per pound for eggplant parm that you then eat at home is a bit strange to me.

But curiosity and a Groupon got the better of me and so it was that I ended up there recently sampling the aforementioned eggplant parm. I like the homey, friendly feel and the fact that everything looked really fresh and delicious. If I could afford it (which most people in this neighborhood can I'm sure) and I was pressed for time I could see the appeal. I will say the prices aren't completely outrageous and they offer catering and gift baskets that look reasonable.

I had high hopes for the beautiful looking eggplant parm. Let's just say that I'll stick with my homemade version from now on. Not that it was terrible, I just think the texture of eggplant parm is best straight out of the oven. The flavor was also more lasagna than eggplant. Not necessarily the worst thing, just not what I was looking for.



The Asian marinated vegetables, however, were delicious. Perfect texture and seasonings. They were a much better value, and I even had leftovers to mix with some tofu and rice the next day. I might actually consider them the next time I'm looking to treat myself. Of course we're also entering the high season for local and seasonal veggies so I might as well just try and replicate the Asian marinade myself. I know it included a lot of sesame oil.
So maybe this wasn't the most helpful of reviews. I'm still not entirely sure how I felt about the place either, other than to say it's not the kind of place I frequent.
Tastebuds Market and Catering
24th and Lombard Streets
215-546-6900


No comments:

Post a Comment