Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Ron's Rib's Restaurant Review

I can't say that I've ever willingly taken Al Roker's advice on anything in my life. His endorsement of local favorite Ron's Rib's has actually been enough to keep me away for a while. I'm also not a huge BBQ afficianado. I love some good ribs, but as far as I'm concerned my dad's are just fine and Philly just isn't the place for authentic BBQ. The only experience I have with southern/soul food are the few obligatory shows I've seen on the subject.

Well after many raves from Fred and company I decided I had to try Ron's. I also get weird cravings every once in a while and one day I just couldn't get a nice juicy hunk of meat out of my head. Actually, I think that describes every day for me.

I also have to hand it to a place that doesn't necessarily do any favors for it's customers. They have odd hours, they run out of food sometimes, there's not much choice on the menu and the place itself is no-frills. I think if I ever ran a restaurant that's how I would do it. The facts that they've been in business forever and have such a devoted following are sure signs of good food, Al Roker notwithstanding.


So how did it taste? It was the big tender hunk of meat I'd been craving. I'm not wimp when it comes to heat, but I had to say the spicy that we ordered was bordering on unpalatable. I'm not one to ever leave a piece of meat uneaten, however, and after eating enough, you don't notice it so much anyways. Fred and I got different sides as you can see. They were tasty enough, but I can't comment on authenticity. The coleslaw was a little sweet for my tastes, but had a nice tang as opposed to the mayonaise goo you sometimes find.

Verdict: If you live in the neighborhood and are craving some BBQ, it will hit the spot. Just maybe order the medium instead of the hot.

Ron's Ribs
1627 South St.
215-732-3561


No comments:

Post a Comment