Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Beets are Back

I'm not sure if they ever actually go away because it always seems to be beet season. They are are a constant presence at the farmer's market and in CSA shares everywhere. While I love their beautiful color and sweet flavor, I had an unfortunate incident with a roasted beet last year. I'll spare you the details.

Long story short, it's going to take me a long time to trust beets again. Ironically, I'll eat the canned variety or the ones you find at salad bars but the thought of a fresh beet frightens me. When I spied a jar of pickled beets at my farmer's market I decided that it would be the perfect way to enjoy the flavor of fresh local beets without the panic attack. I was not disappointed. The beets were delicious and sweet without being overpowering. There was just a hint of tang, but mostly fresh beet taste. Fred and I have been eating the leftovers right out of the jar. This salad made good use of some local arugula as well.

Ingredients

Arugula, washed and with any long stems removed
Pickled beets, sliced
Handful feta cheese
Handful walnuts, toasted and chopped
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dress the salad

No comments:

Post a Comment