Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

2nd Annual Earth Day Adventure

Over a year has passed since I entered the blogosphere, and not much as changed. Last year around this time Betty and I celebrated Earth Day in a manner more suited for Cinco de Mayo. We went out for Mexican food. (Ok, and we also saw the movie "Earth.") I'm happy to say that we kept our promise of making this an annual tradition. Go see the cheesy Disney Nature movie that comes out on Earth Day and eat some tacos.

This year it was "Oceans" and late night dinner at Xochitl. I was tipped off to spectacular late night specials at Xochitl, Thursdays 10-close. Something along the lines of half off almost everything on an already reasonably priced menu.

Even though it required substantial planning for me to eat dinner at 10 pm (I'm an old man, I like my dinner at 6 and I'm in bed by 10) it was worth it. The set up is great, although a little dark in the basement bar where they sat us. The service could have been better, but at half price I think it's allowed. Just don't expect to get out of there any time before midnight.

This is the place for tequila drinkers. They're serious about it here. The knowledgable waitress steered us towards a glass (and I do mean glass, not shot) served with some spicy tomato concoction that's supposed to cleanse the palate. It was interesting.


The food lived up to my expectations. While the servings are small, it's perfect for a group of people who like to sample lots of different dishes.



You'd be proud. I ordered pretty much the only vegetarian options on the menu, the empanadas and the black bean and huitlacoche burger. Both were more than satisfactory.

Oh and watch out for Earth Day 2011: "African Cats" and Zocalo

Xochitl
408 S. 2nd Street
215-238-7280

No comments:

Post a Comment