Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Falafel Factory (For Free!)

I don't mean to sound like a shill, but if you like bargains -and food- you should sign up for Groupon. Never heard of it? It's a daily listserve of discounts for local businesses. Don't do it if you don't like to clog up your inbox, but if you have the patience to actually read through the daily emails it's pretty sweet. And free. (I swear it's legit, you don't have to give them any scary information or commit to anything when you sign up.)

I won't bore you with the details, but I've used their food deals a lot. And I'm such a loyal customer that Groupon gave me a $5 credit just to be nice. So when the deal of the day was "$5 for $10 worth of falafel," I felt like it was my birthday and christmas all in the same day. Yes, in case you're wondering falafel is a perfectly acceptable gift in my book.

The Falafel Factory just happens to be a few blocks from my house, but it's just enough off the beaten path though that I'd never noticed it. Congratulations Groupon. You've gotten me to sample a local place I probably never would have otherwise. And they have my repeat business.

It's a pretty sparse operation. A small storefront with a simple menu. They chose a very accurate name for the place.

I haven't found much good falafel around here, and not surprisingly given the name, this was spot on. What I liked about it (besides the free-ness) was the texture and the fact that the sandwich didn't have any unnecessary lettuce or filler. If I wanted a salad, I'd order a salad. I ordered the Greek, and it was chock full of nothing but falafel and delicious toppings. They also have flavors like Hawaiian and BBQ, but I'll stick with the Greek. I'm loyal like that. You can add sides like hummus and pita or veggies and dip. I'm glad they were free, otherwise they are not worth the extra $2.



Verdict: At around $7 for a sandwich, it's a bit more than I usually spend for lunch but it's certainly within range. Next time I'm bored with my usual lunch or dinner routine and feel like a splurge it's worth the couple extra blocks. I've also heard good things about the falafel at nearby Mama's.

The Falafel Factory
18th and Chestnut
215-564-0064

No comments:

Post a Comment