Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

Vrapple: The Other White Meat

I'll admit it. I actually like the taste of some fake meat products. Now I'm not saying that they taste like meat, but I can say that if used properly they can be made into a satisfying meal, and are great if you don't like tofu. My general rule of thumb is that they are best in dishes that are very flavorful and have lots of ingredients like chili or stew, not in dishes where meat is the central flavor. See below for my recommendations.

Burgers

Morningstar Griller's Prime - I'm not a fan of most veggie burgers, but these have the best texture and least "soy" taste.

Morningstar Spicy Blackbean Burgers - Again, a nice texture and spicy flavor.

Garden Burger - not a fan. They don't heat well, tend to be watery, and are bland.

Chicken Products

Boca Spicy Chik'n Patties - hands down one of my favorite soy products. It's one of my guilty pleasures, and I stock my freezer when they're on sale. I eat them by the box. I eat them as a sandwich, but also with pasta and sauce.

Trader Joes Soy Nuggets - I'm not generally a fan of nuggets, and these are no exception. They are bland, but might be ok if you use a really flavorful sauce.

Quorn Gruyere Chik'n Cutlet - sold at Whole Foods, and definitely my favorite meatless product. It's so good, but so expensive.

Sausage

Trader Joes Soy Chorizo - another one of my favorite products. It's surprisingly flavorful and spicy.

Gimme Lean Ground Sausage - great for dishes like shepard's pie or for making a stuffing for stuffed peppers.

Morningstar Farms Veggie Italian Style Sausage - the best sausage link. excellent in casseroles, such as a breakfast bread pudding.

Beef Products

Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs - decent. doesn't have the texture of meatballs but not bad with pasta and sauce.

Gimme Lean Smart Grounds - great in pasta sauce, chili, etc.

Trader Joe's Beefless Strips - I'm not even sure about the concept of a meatless strip. I think it's trying too hard to be meat, but it's not convincing anybody. The only strip product that I find to be acceptable is TJ's Beefless strip because it has a decent texture. See below for a "beef" and brocolli I've made several times with it.

Other

Vrapple - Even though it's made locally, just don't go there. If you're cravin scrapple, eat some scrapple.

Any kind of luncheon "meat" - also steer clear of anything in this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment