Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Always trust a librarian...

to recommend the best books. I'd like to give a belated thanks to Mrs. Greusome for a perfect bridesmaid gift! When asked what type of books I like it was a no-brainer. Anything food related and I'm a happy camper.

I'll admit that I'm not as well read as I'd like to be, but there are a few books that I would call life changing. All are food or environmentally themed. Lately these two issues are becoming increasingly intertwined. What is rare is to find someone who can combine these two issues without taking the joy out of food. While I hope that the well publicized movement started by authors like Michael Pollan does something to create meaningful change, I am often times left feeling more guilty than hopeful.

In her book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," Barbara Kingsolver manages to be at once both educational and uplifting. She's a well known author, so it's not suprising that her writing is poignant, humorous, and easy to read. This is food writing at its finest. I was moved to tears at times - although I should tell you that that I was also moved to tears by that movie Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones, so I'm not sure if I'm the most reliable critic.

The premise of the book is simple enough. Kingsolver and her family decide to move from Tuscon to a small farm in Virginia where they vow to produce all of their own food for one year. She (and her daughter Camille) are masterful storytellers who manage to interject social commentary with heartwarming anecdotes and even a few recipes. Yes, I am a sucker for idealism, but I try to live my life with a healthy dose of cynicism. Heck I even listen to Howard Stern every once in a while, even if it is mostly against my will. I recognize that this book is a far cry from reality and that the culture of "locavorism" has its flaws.

This book and the lifestyle it promotes arenot for everyone. In our society, eating well is a luxury that few can afford. I'm lucky enough to have access to farmer's markets year round, but even I give in to the tempations of citrus grown in Mexico and the occasional hot dog of questionable origin. In the end I would recommend this book if only because it's a thoroughly enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment