Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What Do You Get...

when you combine cranberries, orange rinds, walnuts and celery? I'm reminded of that friend's episode where Rachel makes the traditional english trifle. My mom's cranberry "salad" isn't far off, and my brothers and I are convinced that she somehow mixed up or misread the recipe. I'm pretty sure that orange rinds are not safe for human consumption. All I can say is, thank you mom for only making this once a year, however, for the sake of posterity and since it was handed down by her mom I think it's worth preserving. So I present to you, Grandma Slaghoople's Cranberry Orange Salad.

Ingredients

1 package cherry jello
1 Cup hot water
1 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Cup pineapple syrup/juice
1 Cup ground cranberries
1 Orange ground, peel and all
1 C drained, crushed pineapple
1 Cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Dissolve jello in water. Add sugar, lemon juice and pineapple juice. Stir until dissolved. Chill until partially set. Add rest. Chill in oiled pan or individual molds.

No comments:

Post a Comment